In our first Geographical Dictionary produced in 1848 as Wells’ Gazetteer, Boree was described as a fine grazing tract of country, situated to the north west of the Belubula River in the District of Wellington. It was noted then, that there was a remarkable natural bridge across the Boree stream and that this stream’s flow was added to from underground tributaries. The District of Wellington was a squatting district beyond the western boundary of Wellington country, and marked by the rivers Bell and Molong, Boreenore Creek and the Canobolas Mountains. Two stations in existence were Thomas Hood’s Boree Coborn and Barton and Darvall’s Boree Nyrang. The Wellington District was described as one of the finest in the country.
It was the amalgamation of the three Shires of Boree, Molong and Canobolas, proposed in 1977, that brought this “food basket” into an entirety once more. Orange City Council was also extending its boundaries into the Canobolas Shire. The naming of the area became another factor. Suggestions were numerous and imaginative. In June 1977, Mrs Bertha MacSmith, a resident of Orange, called a public meeting, asking especially for representatives of the three former shire councils and local Historical Societies to become involved. The aim was to have an agreed order of suggestions for a name, which could be presented to the State Government.
Twenty three people took part in the discussion, which resulted in the name CABONNE being sent to Mr Harry Jensen, the Minister for Local Government in NSW, who announced the new name of the new shire in July 1977.